Interesting Facts About Your Favourite Bingo Game

During the 1800s, Germans used bingo cards as an educational tool to help students learn multiplication tables.

More and more people are becoming addicted to playing bingo, either in bingo halls or on online bingo sites. Today, let me share some fascinating facts about bingo.

About Bingo Cards

Who invented bingo cards? Edwin S. Lowe, a toy salesman from New York, collaborated with Carl Leffler, a mathematics professor from the University of Columbia, to invent at least 6,000 combinations of bingo cards.

Initially, bingo cards were used by Germans in the 1800s as a tool to help students learn multiplication tables.

Carl Leffler was rumored to have gone insane after creating at least 6,000 combinations of bingo cards with non-repeating number groups.

In the UK, bingo cards are also known as “Housie.”

US bingo cards have 5×5 squares, while UK bingo cards have 3 rows and 9 columns.

American bingo cards only have number combinations between 1 and 75, while UK bingo cards have number combinations ranging from 1 to 90.

According to calculations, there are 552,446,474,061,128,648,601,600,000 possible number arrangements on one bingo card.

When you say DIY bingo cards, you can customize cards by creating your own number combinations or adding your own images.

Statistics show that Americans spend over $90 million on bingo cards alone per week.

The Bingo Game

The first recorded bingo game took place in Italy as early as 1530, called “Lo Giuoco del Lotto D’Italia,” which is still being played today.

Christine Bradfield, a grandmother from Bargoed in Caerphilly county, is believed to be the biggest bingo prize winner, having won over £1.1 million at The Castle Club in Merthyr Tydfil.

The largest recorded online bingo win is an astounding £430,900!

On a standard bingo card, a player can come up with 1,474,200 different winning combinations.

The bingo game was originally called “beano” but was later changed to “bingo” when an excited woman accidentally yelled the word after winning the jackpot.

According to resources, 96% of regular bingo players have won the jackpot prize at least once.

About 80% of bingo players are women, while the remaining 20% consist of men.

Winning the jackpot ranks fifth as to why players join bingo games. Finding enjoyment is the top priority for bingo players.

Bingo games have shown significant effects in improving cognitive abilities and reducing stress.

People of all ages play bingo, but the majority of players are aged 35 and below.

The bingo game was first called “beano” because players used beans to mark the raffled numbers on their cards.

The Online Bingo Game

The earliest known online bingo game was called “Bingo Zone,” which was launched in 1996. It was followed by “Bingo Blitz” in 1998.

Online bingo is a well-loved leisure activity in the UK with over 3 million players daily. The industry has made a significant contribution to the country’s economy in recent years. In the US, online bingo has seen tremendous growth and has become the most popular pastime activity among Americans. Unlike traditional bingo halls, online bingo sites use a random number generator to play the game. A notable feature of online bingo is the chat function, which allows players to interact and socialize with each other. In 2010, online bingo generated $640 million, with 50% of the earnings coming from the UK. The majority of online bingo players are aged between 35-40, and 48% of them play at least once a day. The chat feature has helped 47% of players form new friendships. Women account for 83% of online bingo players, with men making up the remaining 17%. Playing bingo online is a fun and relaxing way to unwind, and players can take advantage of various bonus offers and jackpots. For those who don’t have the time or means to visit bingo halls, online bingo is a great alternative.


1. What is the origin of bingo?

Bingo is believed to have originated in Italy in the 16th century as a lottery-style game called “Il Gioco del Lotto d’Italia”. It quickly spread across Europe and made its way to North America in the early 20th century, where it became known as bingo. Today, it is a popular game played worldwide both online and in person.

2. What are the different variations of bingo?

There are many variations of bingo, including 75-ball bingo, 80-ball bingo, and 90-ball bingo. In 75-ball bingo, players mark off numbers on a 5×5 grid, with the center square marked “free”. In 80-ball bingo, players mark off numbers on a 4×4 grid, and in 90-ball bingo, players mark off numbers on a 9×3 grid. There are also variations of the game that include progressive jackpots and special bonus rounds.

3. What are the odds of winning at bingo?

The odds of winning at bingo depend on many factors, including the number of players, the number of cards being played, and the variation of the game being played. Generally, the more cards a player has, the greater their chances of winning. However, it is important to remember that bingo is a game of chance, and there is no guaranteed way to win.

4. What is the largest bingo win ever recorded?

The largest bingo win ever recorded was more than £1.1 million, won by Soraya Lowell at the Castle Bingo Hall in the UK in 2008. Lowell, who was a mother of four at the time, won the jackpot after playing bingo for just 30 minutes. Her win made headlines around the world and cemented her place in bingo history.

5. How has technology changed the game of bingo?

Technology has had a significant impact on the game of bingo, with the rise of online bingo sites allowing players to play from the comfort of their own homes. Many online bingo sites also offer mobile apps, making it even more convenient for players to play on-the-go. In addition, technology has allowed for more complex variations of the game, such as progressive jackpots and bonus rounds.

Rate article
Add a comment